Feeling good everyday is my number one priority.
Below are my top ten ways to improve my day, mood, and attitude!
1. Meditate fifteen to thirty minutes per day. Plug into Source.
2. Set your intention for the day. What quality do you want to show up with today? (e.g. grace, courage, joy, self-acceptance…)
3. EXERCISE! Run, walk, yoga, weights, Pilates…Get your motor running (minimum thirty minutes). Power up your endorphins. Train your body to recognize and imprint feeling good.
4. Gratitude. First thing in the morning: Pray in gratitude for all your gifts. Be thankful for waking up with a healthy body and mind clear enough to do this exercise. Last thing at night: Review your day and all the good things that happened. Build your gratitude muscle and train your mind to focus on the good. (Are you alive? Do you have clean water? Do you live in a peaceful land?)
5. Listen to uplifting, inspirational speakers on your iPod, while you’re working out, driving, on the subway, etc. (e.g. Abraham Hicks, Ram Dass, Dr. Michael Beckwith, Marianne Williamson, Wayne Dyer). Be careful what you’re filling your head with. Choose nutritious brain food.
6. Drink a green vegetable juice. You know the deal. Alkalizing your body boosts your mood and immune system. Only good can come from this.
7. Sit quietly in the sun for a few minutes. Remember who you are. Bask.
8. Journal about your dreams, desires, the life you are creating. Think of journaling as turning on the faucet and letting your mind flush out. Dump any thoughts. Stream of consciousness. I like to think of this as skimming the pond scum off the surface layer of your mind.
9. Play great, uplifting music, sing along, dance! (The proven, fastest way to change your mood, open the heart, and free the mind, a.k.a. Bhakti Yoga.)
10. Reach out to a loved one or friend just to say hello or catch up.
Please, let me know what works to lift you up everyday in the comments below!
Elevating personal growth as a lifestyle, Ashley Turner, M.A., brings a fresh approach to yoga as a modern-day psychotherapist with a soulful bent on celebrating the body’s wisdom and inner spirit. Ashley is the co-author of Aroma Yoga®: Using Essential Oils in Yoga + Life and creator of four best-selling yoga DVDs. She leads monthly, weekend retreats at Montage in Laguna Beach, CA, as well as retreats and workshops around the globe. For more on her and her events, visit her website and follow her on Facebook and Twitter.