juicy mind, happy product: a meditation for self promotion
Meditation can take many forms. You can write this out in a journal, talk it out with a friend, or do the traditional sitting meditation. You’re the master. Either way you choose to tap in, settle your mind, and focus, take three deep breaths. Inhale and exhale. Slowly. Fully.
(This is going to be fun, BTW. Avoid dry mind. Choose juicy mind.)
1. Imagine that you’re in an empty room. It’s your ideal room, so maybe it’s plush and luxy, or austere and Zen. You love it, and you’re comfortable.
2. Waiting outside the door to that room is your business, product, service, artwork—whatever you call what you offer for your livelihood. How do you feel knowing that it’s outside the door? What is the flavour of your anticipation? Anxious? Smiling? Dread? Blessed and blissy?
3. Now, invite your business/product/service/artwork to join you. Do it ceremoniously or simply. Notice how you extend the invitation. (Sheepish, commanding, open, playful, hesitantly.) How does your business/product/service/artwork take form? As a ray of light, blueprint plans, a mighty robot, a peacock, a quivering beggar, a pile of gold, crates of bestselling books? How does your business/product/service/artwork feel to you? Just noticing how you extend the invitation and the form that your business/product/service/artwork took will be useful cosmic data. If you want to stop there, do so. Put the mediation on pause and come back to do phase two another day.
Or, go further…
1. Ask your business/product/service/artwork if it has a message or a gift to give you. Receive it. Notice how you receive it.
2. Ask your business/product/service/artwork how it would like to be shared with the world. You may hear or see specific strategies (like “e-books in the Fall”) or you may just feel the how, like feelings of integrity, innovation, steadiness.
3. Now, (and this is important) let your business/product/service/artwork enter into you. You can breathe it in; you can imagine opening your heart and it climbing in; you can envision jacking into it and downloading it into your cells like an electrical current. The point here: You and your business/product/service/artwork are entwined and grooving together—unison.
4. Now, just…glow. Radiate. Vibrate. Hum your sonic powah, baby. Envision your creative light making its way into the world effortlessly and being received with great appreciation.
Allow the ease. Honour the excitement and intensity. Say thank you.
Danielle LaPorte is the outspoken creator of The Desire Map, author of The Fire Starter Sessions (Random House/Crown), co-creator of Your Big Beautiful Book Plan, and soon-to-be publisher of DANIELLE Magazine, launching in early 2014. An inspirational speaker, former think tank exec, and business strategist, she writes weekly at DanielleLaPorte.com, where over a million visitors have gone for her straight-up advice—a site that’s been deemed “the best place on-line for kick-ass spirituality” and was named one of the “Top 100 Websites for Women” by Forbes.
*Featured image by Bill Cosmos