In a fun twist of synchronicity, my friends Michael, Kate, and I ran into each other in the lobby of Eatily in New York City. Hugs! “Oh My God!” More hugs. We were all there for lunches with friends. Kate said, “I’m meeting So & So, I haven’t seen her in ages, but she’s the kind of friend I could call at two a.m.” Michael and I nodded. Not many of those, eh? Two a.m. friends are the best.
We decided that being able to call someone at 2:00 a.m. was our new metric of love.
So, whom can you call? For most of us, the list of “who” will be a very short one.
- Who’s the first person you’d call if you landed the job, won the award, found out you were preggers, got the news that you qualified?
- Who would you bring if you got five front row seats to see your favorite rock star?
- Who’s your “In Case of Emergency” contact?
- Who could write your obituary?
- Who knows how you take your coffee or could order for you at a restaurant?
- Who’ll drive you there—and back?
- Who’s seen you do the Ugly Cry?
- Where can you show up without calling?
Whom can you call at 2 a.m.?
Treasured, indispensable, no matter what, sacred circle.
Forward them this post to say, “You’re this for me.”
Celebrate—before 2:00 a.m.
. . . . . . .
Danielle LaPorte is the author of The Fire Starter Sessions: A Soulful + Practical Guide for Creating Success on Your Own Terms (Random House/Crown). An inspirational speaker, former think tank exec and business strategist, she is the co-creator of Your Big Beautiful Book Plan. Her next online program launches November 2012, called DESIRE: The Map to What You Truly Want.
Over a million visitors have gone to DanielleLaPorte.com for her straight-up advice — a site that’s been deemed “the best place on-line for kick-ass spirituality”, and was named one of the “Top 100 Websites for Women” by Forbes.
*Photo by csuspect.
BUY DANIELLE’S BOOK BELOW: