1. Create an amazing support group. They don’t say ” It takes a village to raise a child” for nothing. Make sure you ask for help and take time for you, because since your baby is the number one priority you need to make you your number one priority. Many moms, especially first time moms feel guilty for taking “me time,” but the fact is if you’re not happy then you won’t raise a happy baby. The better you care for yourself the more love, patience, care and fun you will have for your baby.
- Go out for an early dinner or a couple of drinks after work. Ask the sitter to stay an hour extra. Those extra bucks are worth you having a bit of you time. Even if it’s an hour.
- Plan a girls’ night. Even if you can’t get a sitter or your man is working late nights, put the baby to bed early. Make some cocktails and snacks and invite your girlfriends over for a fun girls night in.
2. Bath time ritual. Make a luxurious bath when you put your baby to bed. Or have your man or bestie come help out while you chill and soak in a tub of bath salts with the finest shampoo and conditioner. Light some candles, dim the lights, and relax. You deserve it.
3. Pamper yourself. Feeling sexy and feminine is key in keeping your self esteem and “swag,” as I like to call it, alive and blazing. Just because you’re a mom doesn’t mean that you get to wear yoga pants all day and slump it out. Make dressing up a part of your “me time” routine. Keep your fire alive.
- Get A Mani or Pedi
- Book a spa day for you and your love or just for you 😉
- Buy cute new outfits that fit your curves just right
- Treat yourself to a fabulous new hair cut
- Go to Sephora or your local makeup shop and buy some high quality gorgeous makeup
- Doll yourself up and have a blast.
4. Have fun with your child. Your me time can also involve having your baby there with you. Make the process even more enjoyable for you. Really have fun being a momma – it’s the greatest gift. But sometimes being a momma, trying to do it all, you don’t always take the time to really be present and take it easy. One great tip is make a Pinterest board and pick cute outfits and have a blast dressing up your lil nugget in the finest clothes. Walk around looking cute and dressing your baby cute. Get out and have some fun! Make memories for you and your baby, in style.
Remember this, it’s normal to feel guilty sometimes. The key is not letting the guilt choose for you.
Let your higher self, the one that knows that a happy mother is a happy baby, choose for you. Your child will thank when you are glowing and being the role model of true self-love.
Have some “me time” momma tips? Share them in the comments below.
With Fierce Love,
Christine Gutierrez is a psychotherapist, advice columnist, speaker, author, poet, and founder of CosmicLife.com, an online hub that features psychologically-savvy and soulful advice, articles, videos, private consultations, workshops, retreats (both live and virtual), radio appearances, and television projects. “Ancient wisdom with a modern twist” is the motto. She has been featured in TimeOut NY Magazine, Latina Magazine as “The Future 15: The Healer,” Yahoo Health, Ebony Magazine, Cosmopolitan for Latinas, The Conversation, Cosmopolitan Magazine, Ricki Lake, Lifetime TV, and more. You can also follow Christine on Twitter and Facebook. Grab a a free worksheet on How to Break Free from Self-Sabotage in Love+ Relationships by signing up here: www.fiercelovefiercelife.com.
Image courtesy of Theresa Martell.