As most of you know, I spent three weeks in Europe in June on a business / holiday trip and I shared with you how I faced two of my biggest fears namely, claustrophobia and heights. And guess what?..I survived!
Not only did I survive but I felt inspired, bullet proof and full of confidence…like I could take on the world.
What I didn’t realize at the time was that my new found confidence was going to be tested to the limit in the coming days.
My husband and I were at breakfast one morning with about thirty plus industry people who were on the business trip with us and the organizers announced they had a special day planned for us. It had been an amazing trip so far and me with my new found confidence was totally psyched.
“Bring it on”, I thought! I am so excited.
Then they announced that they were taking all thirty of us paragliding…GULP!
I felt sick to my stomach and I watched with complete fright as everyone else around me cheered and let out yells of excitement.
The next couple of hours was brutal on my mental and emotional state and I wasn’t amused to be honest.
I was hoping other people would drop out and skip it so I could join them. No one did! Everyone signed the necessary forms and then I did the same with my shaking hand. We jumped on the mini bus with a team of four or so cool, excited, young daredevils who were our guides.
The drive up the mountains of Interlaken in Switzerland was so long and winding that it just compounded the nerves. I was numb and resigned myself to dying. I said I am just going with it and in a way I was just angry with the situation. Why was no one dropping out? I wanted to drop out too.
I strapped on my harness, barely heard the instructor mumble out his instructions, as I was so numb and then before I knew it we stepped off the side of the mountain. I screamed, I yelled, I panicked, I was close to tears…I was in awe…
This was beautiful. I survived the take off. Yes it was high, but we were flying. We floated, drifted and flew for a long time. My nerves eventually calmed down and it was exhilarating. I loved it. I still let out the odd scream and yell as we changed direction, but now I was smiling and laughing.
Eventually our feet hit the ground and I was still alive. YIPPEE! That was one of the greatest experiences of my life and I felt I had finally buried the dragon.
Why did I wait do so long?
Well now, I want to share with you fifteen ways that you can challenge yourself this summer, so you can begin to live a more fulfilling and rewarding life. One where you are out of your comfort zone and you are challenging yourself.
Note: you can also add to this list if you want to and change it around based on your preferences. I tried to create this list so you can challenge yourself mentally, emotionally and physically.
- Reach out to someone who you hold a grudge with – this doesn’t mean you need to condone their behavior or agree with them, but you can forgive them and bury the hatchet. It is great to release old hurts, wounds and negative energy. This takes courage, but be the one to initiate it.
- Sign up for a physical challenge – What is it that you would love to do that would push you physically? A spinning challenge? Half- marathon? Marathon? Bike Ride or race? A hike? Climbing a mountain? What is it? Do it. Test yourself!
- Attend a public speaking class like Toastmasters – Did you know more people are afraid of public speaking than dying? Crazy right? That doesn’t need to be the case. Go to a local chapter of Toastmasters and step out of your comfort zone.
- Practice fifteen days of giving – This is a great challenge where you give a different person something every day for fifteen days. It doesn’t always have to be money or items, but you could cut their grass, give them a hug and a smile, go to their house and have tea or coffee with them. Do this without expecting anything in return.
- Do something you always wanted to do but keep putting it off – Is there something you always wanted to do but have always put it off, like learning a musical instrument, taking a dancing class, becoming a Yoga instructor, taking a cooking class? Find that thing and sign up to do it.
- Do something that the mere thought scares the heck out of you – What really scares you? For me it was heights and claustrophobia. Find that thing and go face it head on just once!
- Learn a new skill – We can all keep growing and learning. What skill would you love to have? Is it speaking, writing a book, computer skills, ice skating? What new or improved skill set would you love to learn or improve? Find it and sign up.
- Challenge yourself to come up with a new source of income – Money isn’t the most important thing in the world and doesn’t bring peace and happiness. But is does allow us more freedom and to enjoy many things in life. Challenge yourself to come up with one additional source of income this summer no matter how small that amount is.
- Step out of your daily comfort zone – Change is awesome and when we step out of our comfort zone amazing things happen. Drive a different way to work, change up your routine. Speak to that person you were too scared to approach. Whatever is going to challenge you that day, do it.
- Cut out TV – step away from the television and dedicate those hours to this list.
- Take up a meditation challenge or similar – challenge yourself with a new spiritually charged challenge, that will help you create a new habit that is empowering for you.
- Apply for a new job that you think is way out of your reach / ask your boss for a raise – Thinking you’re not good enough or not worthy of a bigger position or role? Think again and step out of your limited comfort zone and do it.
- Wake up earlier – This is not always easy, but waking up that little bit earlier each day can change the entire course of your day.
- Go to bed earlier – You need rest and staying up too late, watching TV or socializing is not going to help you physically, emotionally or mentally. Get the beauty rest, you will need it while stepping out of your comfort zone.
- Say NO to more people – The time has come to say NO to those people who treat you poorly, suck all your energy or do not serve you well. This is the season to have more me time, say NO to those energy vampires and YES to yourself and your new challenges.
I know if you follow this guidance you will have the best summer ever.
Hayley Hobson is an author, speaker, Kick-A$$ Business Guru, 7 Figure MOM-treprenuer. and passionate about empowering others to live the life of their dreams and is based in Boulder, CO. Hayley creates lifestyle transformations by coaching her clients to become the best WHOLE version of themselves possible. To learn more about her nutritional courses, events, and custom programs, visit hayleyhobson.com or follow her on Facebook or Twitter.