For ten years I’ve walked back and forth the bridge between science and spirituality, doing scientific research in the space industry during the day, and studying ancient spiritual texts during the night.
I never really understood why a scientist can’t spend time in prayer, and why a person on the spiritual journey can’t think.
In this exploratory article, I extend to you an invitation to thinking and logic. This is not an article to defend God because God doesn’t need defense from humans. However, we need to protect our awareness of God in our lives, because without our Heavenly Father our life becomes an empty and meaningless drama.
Some logical points:
- Science can be of service to us, if and only if it expands our knowledge and awareness of the world. Science cannot have opinions about something they never investigate or experience.
- Science evolved because science looked at the data, and only then it expanded our awareness of reality.
- Science has almost never looked at the evidence for God. When science – in very rare cases – did look, they found extraordinary evidence and the conclusion was amazing, mind-blowing, and so beautiful. One of the examples is the research of Dr. Jeffrey Long who investigated over 4,000 near-death experiences that reveal the existence of God as Love: pure, holy and infinite Love. 97 percent of the interviewees reported, “the meeting with the Divine being is more real than our life here on Earth.” Another example is Segatashya, the illiterate boy from Rwanda who met Jesus and then traveled around Africa preaching the teachings of the New Testament without even knowing how to read.
- To conclude God doesn’t exist, as skeptics proclaim, is proof they haven’t looked at the evidence and they’re only advertising their own ignorance. To conclude God doesn’t exist without looking neither within nor at the external evidence is the same as saying “atoms do not exist” by refusing to look through a microscope. You find God by looking within, but skeptics can also look around: the miracles that happened during the services of Kathyrn Kuhlman (and many others) are clear signs and gifts and wonders from Jesus to us. Both God and the atoms exist without us being aware of their existence or ever seeing them (I’ve never seen an atom, but I believe they are real). Reality remains the same even when we do not believe in it. As one of my mentors said: “if you don’t go within, you go without.”
- I fly often around the world, and I am grateful to the inventors, the scientists, the engineers, and the flight crews because they’ve studied for many years how airplanes work and can take us to a destination. Their knowledge how to fly is available to all of us if we want to give it our attention, time, and focus, but until we do, only they are the ones aware of this knowledge because they have given it their attention, time, energy and focus. An airplane mechanic knows how to solve a technical problem because he’s been studying and working on planes for years. They might make mistakes, they don’t know it all, but they know more than me and you. A spiritual teacher, a monk, or a minister knows how to solve a spiritual problem because they have been praying and studying the human spirit for years. They might make mistakes, they don’t know it all, but they know more than you and me.
- People who look for God with all their hearts have more knowledge and insight, not because they are special or have access to secrets, but because they are looking for God and because they were the ones to first choose to look within and look for Heaven.
- Bringing the blessings of God into our life is a matter of “Seeking you first the Kingdom of Heaven.” When you give God your attention, focus and energy, when you sincerely look for God, you will find Him waiting for you in Love, knocking at the door of your heart.
Reality must have logic, but for reality to have logic, it must include all data, not just some data.
As the famous mathematician, physicist and inventor Blaise Pascal said in the 17th century: “To those who wish to see, God gives them sufficient light. To those who don’t wish to see, He gives them sufficient darkness.”
By the way, I don’t call Him “God” anymore. He’s my Father.
DR. DRAGOS – Internationally renowned scientist and filmmaker, director of the award-winning documentary film, THE AMAZING YOU, featuring NASA legends, Rock stars, New York Times bestselling authors and the Angry Birds. Dragos spoke at conferences on five continents and his work has been translated in sixteen languages. Check out his new book: Sleepers. You can follow him on FB.
Image courtesy of Josh Applegate.