- Banished my iPhone from my bedroom. If you’re addicted to technology, like I am/was, you’ll understand how major this is. Took me about three weeks to seal the habit. Result: I no longer feel doomsday urgency, immediate crazy f-cking pressure to save the entire planet by 7:30am. Ya know? I meditate more often. I walk into the kitchen chill. I have an uninterrupted conversation with my boy. And when I do fire up the phone, it’s bam, boom CLARITY time.
- Before bed, I fill 2 larger mason jars with water + two-three tablespoons each of apple cider vinegar (I alternate with lemon juice). I put them on an altar area I have in the kitchen (but like, your counter will do.) And I ask that the water be blessed and super-charged overnight for me to drink the next day. I also fill a jar for my son (just water) with his name on the lid. I told him that one jar of water a day is rad for clear skin and will help him hit his goal height. Amazing what that did for water intake. (Benefits of apple cider vinegar: regulates blood sugar, highly antibacterial, so great for gut health and skin.)
- I turned my business growth strategy inside out. For seven years it was: Grow through visibility. Publicity, magazines, Facebook ads, gigs, exposure to new people, GROW THE LIST. That’s no fun in the long run. We turned it all inside out: Focus on the Tribe — the people who are already here, resonating. And then traditional “growth” (defined as more profit per year and increased audience) is the organic bonus of serving the Tribe. (I’ll write more about this in 2018. xo)
- Read the entire Medical Medium series from Anthony William: Medical Medium, Life Changing Foods, Thyroid Healing.
- Stopped eating dead animals, most of whom were injected with hormones, raised and killed in inhumane and unsanitary conditions. (After 12 years of eating meat, I’ve returned to vegetarianism/vegan-curious living with some, um, intensity.)
- I declared my love for someone even though I knew it would probably be an unrequited love story (my least favorite kind). Truth liberates your power. Everytime.
- Stopped working Fridays. Pretty much. Wrote about it here.
- Used Living Libations toothpaste to rebuild the enamel on a problematic tooth (as opposed to having gum graft. #healthyself)
- Hokas. Fuggliest running shoes. BEST for shin splints.
- I super committed to meditation as my key wellness and service practice. That devotion makes every area of my life deeper, saner, sweeter.
- I stopped being afraid of pissing off my so-called enemies. I’m never out to aggravate situations, and I don’t want to hurt even the people who take pleasure in hurting others, but I used to be overly…restrained. Over politeness can be a survival mechanism, based on fear of retaliation. Here’s what I figure: If you’re giving me a hard time for no good reason (I include the patriarchy in this), then I don’t mind letting you know that I think your behaviour is douchery. I’m quite sure this is how revolutions begin.
- I mustered some compassion for the mean girls. Because, everybody’s looking for a place for their pain, ya know.
- My key travel survival strategy became: get clean food, ASAP. I used to grab what I could in between terminals and gigs. Now: I get off the plane and go directly to a healthy grocery store. Even if it means that the taxi or Lyft driver [I avoid Uber] hangs in the parking lot, I make sure provisions happen first.
- I make soup on the weekends. (Which is to say, I made soup twice and it was edible and I think I’m on a roll.)
- Got my house tested for mold and then got it the hell out of my life. Tore down a wall. Got air purifiers. Homeopathics. Essential oils. Lots of people go years with health symptoms and never get to the root. Fight.the.mold.
- Culled my Instagram follows to under 100 people. This made IG way less exciting, and thus, helped with social media addiction. Now when I think about someone (who I used to be following and probably offended by unfollowing), I go to their feed and see what’s happening for them and engage. Like, real time interest.
- Went one whole year with no psychic or astro readings, channellings, or workshops. I call it an input fast. And I lost a lot of psychic weight.
Danielle LaPorte is an invited member of Oprah’s SuperSoul 100, a group who, in Oprah Winfrey’s words, “is uniquely connecting the world together with a spiritual energy that matters.” She is author of White Hot Truth: Clarity for keeping it real on your spiritual path—from one seeker to another. The Fire Starter Sessions, and The Desire Map: A Guide To Creating Goals With Soul—the book that has been translated into 8 languages, evolved into a yearly day planner system, a top 10 iTunes app, and an international workshop program with licensed facilitators in 15 countries.
Named one of the “Top 100 Websites for Women” by Forbes, millions of visitors go to DanielleLaPorte.com every month for her daily #Truthbombs and what’s been called “the best place online for kickass spirituality.” A speaker, a poet, a painter, and a former business strategist and Washington-DC think tank exec, Entrepreneur Magazine calls Danielle, “equal parts poet and entrepreneurial badass…edgy, contrarian…loving and inspired.” Her charities of choice are Eve Ensler’s VDay: a global movement to end violence against women and girls, and charity: water, setting out to bring safe drinking water to everyone in the world. She lives in Vancouver, BC with her favourite philosopher, her son. You can find her @daniellelaporte and just about everywhere on social media.