Do you feel overwhelmed with the hostility that’s out there in the news and pervasive on every social media outlet? Is every newscast you watch, even if you try to avoid it, negatively impacting you?
If you nodded your head, let me just tell you, you are not alone. If you’re feeling torn between wanting to stay actively engaged and not allowing what’s going on in the world to completely depress you, I have some ideas.
In this episode, I’m talking about how essential self-care is (especially during these hostile times) to your ability to stay grounded and informed, replenished and engaged, compassionate and active.
Watch the video now to get my best tips on how to care for yourself so that you can show up in the world as your very best…as a true, loving citizen of humanity.
Do you have friends or family who are stressed or overwhelmed right now? Share this with them as an act of loving kindness.
Things to think about…
- How are you consuming your information? You CAN be a good citizen and not watch the news all the time. When it comes to today’s news, I think less is more.
- Are you paying attention to the signals your body is giving you? It’s so important to listen to the wisdom of your body. Places to start: notice when and if you’re taking a break when you need one. Don’t ignore the signals from your body to rest. Get enough sleep so that your body is restoring itself at the level that it’s possible for it to. Sleep is such an important part of being healthy, and of being well–mind, body, and spirit.
- Meditate! Even five minutes every morning will actually matter and will affect your internal experience. Mindfulness matters and can make all the difference between a conscious choice and a rash one.
- Move! Stretch, walk, do whatever works for you, but move your butt! Your mind and body will thank you.
- What are the people you surround yourself like? Ditch the negativity. Here’s a link to the episode I did on the negative effects of hanging out with negative people and chronic complainers can have on your brain. Try to limit your time with the people you know who get off on bad news and can’t wait to tell you about it. It’s ok to say “no thanks” to being a receptacle for someone else’s compulsive negativity.
- Protect yourself energetically. We really do have an aura that protects us and there are ways that we can strengthen that, to give us an energetic line of defense against all the unwanted negative energy out there right now. I mention my bestie and energy medicine expert, Lara Riggio, and her work. You can learn her quick and simple technique to “zip up” your energy to protect yourself right here.
- Be kind. Nothing lifts your spirits faster than being kind to another person. When you add value to someone else’s life, your brain actually releases endorphins. Doing something nice for someone is a win-win, so if you catch yourself being judgy or short-tempered or bitchy, stop displacing your aggression and think about who could use some kindness. Do some good in the world. We can combat this hostility and many injustices that are going on in the world by evening the playing field with good deeds and kind acts for our fellow humans.
- Dial into your feelings and take inventory of where and how you might be numbing yourself out to avoid the confrontation of our time. We may seek solace or find false comfort in food, alcohol, even meaningless sex. These things can make us feel better temporarily, but really not in the long run. You can tap into your own courage to face your feelings AND still be part of the solution.
- Become a silver lining detective – look for the wisdom and the gems (even in sucky situations) that teach you more about yourself. It’s a gift of self-awareness and self-love. Look for the silver lining in the experiences, look for the lessons in all of the situations in your life, and look for the wisdom. That is how we evolve.
If you liked this episode today about self-care and hostile times, please share it on your social media outlets and with your crew. You can download my cheat sheet of “Self-Care in Hostile Times” here.
I hope that you have an amazing week and as always, take care of you.
Terri Cole is a licensed psychotherapist, transformation coach, and an expert at turning fear into freedom. Sign up for Terri’s weekly Newsletter, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter.