When you enter into the deal-making phase—from real estate to intellectual property, gigs to partnerships—it can be like heading into a dark tunnel. The Deal Tunnel. Everyone’s opinions are echoing. Time pressure is on. You reeeeally want to get to the final deal, the light, at the end of the tunnel.
8 tips for sealing the deal (and the whole point is to seal the deal):
- Do NOT enter The Deal Tunnel if you are unsure if you actually want to make a deal. Simple: Do you want it or not? If the answer is yes, then proceed.
- People’s true character comes up in the negotiation process. You don’t have to love what they offer to stick with the process, but if you really don’t like what you see in their character, back out of The Deal Tunnel. More on that note:
- Do not misinterpret legitimate restrictions that your deal partners may have (i.e., they really may not have the money in their budget) as character flaws or power tripping behaviour. There are legalities and formalities that may be insurmountable—don’t take it personally. That said…
- Legalities and formalities can very often be surmounted. Exceptions happen when people choose to be exceptional.
- Time kills a lot of deals. If people involved are dragging their feet, be on alert. The ol’ drag and slag is a red flag. Are you in or are you out?
- Set deadlines for deal closing and do what it takes to meet them. Make the call. Make the promise. Pay the express rate. Tell the cab driver to step on it!
- Keep this in your heart: I want this to work out. When you’re in that pure desire, you can be more flexible for the bigger vision.
- Keep this in mind: I won’t die if this doesn’t work out. When you’re in healthy non-attachment, you will walk with your values every step of the way.
Always with Love,
Danielle LaPorte is an invited member of Oprah’s SuperSoul 100, a group who, in Oprah Winfrey’s words, “is uniquely connecting the world together with a spiritual energy that matters.” She is author of White Hot Truth: Clarity for keeping it real on your spiritual path—from one seeker to another. The Fire Starter Sessions, and The Desire Map: A Guide To Creating Goals With Soul—the book that has been translated into 8 languages, evolved into a yearly day planner system, a top 10 iTunes app, and an international workshop program with licensed facilitators in 15 countries. Named one of the “Top 100 Websites for Women” by Forbes, millions of visitors go to DanielleLaPorte.com every month for her daily #Truthbombs and what’s been called “the best place online for kickass spirituality.” A speaker, a poet, a painter, and a former business strategist and Washington-DC think tank exec, Entrepreneur Magazine calls Danielle, “equal parts poet and entrepreneurial badass…edgy, contrarian…loving and inspired.” Her charities of choice are Eve Ensler’s VDay: a global movement to end violence against women and girls, and charity: water, setting out to bring safe drinking water to everyone in the world. She lives in Vancouver, BC with her favourite philosopher, her son. You can find her @daniellelaporte and just about everywhere on social media.