The sugar holidays are all beginning today with Halloween and in order to get yourself ahead of the imbalance curve, take this quiz to assess where you could use some support during the season hustle and bustle.
Do you ever ask yourself the question, what is life balance? And who has it?
I used to ask myself that question all the time and I have finally come up with an answer that is suitable for me.
I think of my life being in balance when I make my self-care needs number one and when I make myself a priority while serving others.
I know I feel imbalance when I am in reaction, drama and regret rather than being in a neutral space as things come up in my life.
My dear teacher and friend Patricia K writes: “If trying to maintain balance in your life makes you feel like a tightrope walker, you’re not alone. Most of us have so many demands on our time and energy, life can feel like a three-ring circus.
Take this short quiz to see how well you are balancing the outer world of responsibilities, while also recognizing and fulfilling your inner needs and wants.
Answer True or False
1. The only way I can successfully manage my life is to take care of myself physically and emotionally.
2. Nurturing myself enlarges my capacity to help others.
3. I eat healthfully and exercise regularly.
4. I get check-ups, go to the dentist, and take preventative precautions.
5. I set aside personal, quiet time for myself, whether I’m meditating or simply letting my thoughts drift.
6. I experience the gifts of each season: ice skating, sledding, bundled-up beach walks; gardening, hiking, more time outside; camping, swimming, barbecues; harvesting the bounty, gathering wood, spending more time inside.
7. Creativity nurtures me, too. I do what I love, whether that’s cooking, drawing, writing, dancing, singing or another creative pursuit.
8. Reaching out to others enriches my life. I spend quality time with family and friends.
9. Contributing to the world provides connection and purpose, so I give my time, energy and experience where it is most useful.
10. I notice and heed the emotional signals that tell me I’m out of balance: irritability, overwhelm, resentment.
11. If I feel that I’m catching a cold, I realize I may have stressed my immune system with over-activity, so I stop and take care of myself.
12. When I need or want to, I say no to requests for my time.
13. I listen to and honor the requests my body makes for such things as a nap, a walk, green vegetables, alone time, sharing with a friend.
14. If I have something planned for myself, I don’t just toss that aside when someone makes a request of me.
15. I’m busy, but I find time to do the things I want to do.
16. I’m happy. I regularly experience well-being, contentment, even joy.
If you answered false more often than true, you may want to look at the questions to which you answered false and see if you can incorporate something of its message into your life.
If you are reading this and are giving yourself a hard time for not getting more “True” statements, it’s time to stop, take a deep breath and affirm this statement out loud, “Every moment is an opportunity to begin again”.
You can begin NOW to bring more balance into your life and with the major holidays around the corner, this is the perfect time to start! @laurafenamore (Click to Tweet!)
No matter what the outcome to the quiz is, just know that support is available for you. Feel free to set up a complimentary 30 minute discovery session by emailing me or ask me anything you want about life balance in the comments below.
Laura Fenamore, Body Image Expert, Coach and acclaimed Author is on a mission to help women around the world end the constant battle with their bodies and start adoring who they see in the mirror. Her approach walks students and readers through the heartfelt journey to self-love at any size or age by unlocking the secrets to a lifetime of emotional, physical and spiritual health. After overcoming a lifelong battle with addiction, obesity, and eating disorders, Laura released 100 pounds – keeping it off for more than 28 years. She chronicles this journey to self-love and health in her widely acclaimed book, Skinny, Fat, Perfect: Love Who You See in the Mirror. Learn more about Laura’s programs, or invite her to speak by visiting SkinnyFatPertect.com.
Image courtesy of Aziz Acharki.