Self-care is not selfish. It’s fair. You are also a person and, when your wellbeing is a priority, you are able to show up for your dear ones in your power. A calm, balanced You is going to have a positive impact on others during these times of global crisis. Let us spread calm, positivity and hope.
Most of us have been called to stay in the comforts of our homes. Trapped in busyness, always running somewhere to get more and achieve more, we are now given the gift of Time. And what a wonderful gift that is, as it means Life and it’s never coming back!
Here are some suggestions to help you spend your precious time wisely these days and take good care of yourself:
- Stay away from the toxic news and keep yourself informed from reliable sources. Fear sells well, don’t spread it further!
- Reconnect with yourself: sleep, recharge your batteries, meditate, journal, pray.
- Move your body. Do yoga, Pilates, dance.
- Be outdoors, if you can; do gardening. Enjoy the sunlight. Play with your pets.
- Spend quality time with your family. Cook, bake, eat together. Play with your children. Talk to them. Ask them questions. Listen to what they have to say.
- Get creative. Paint, sculpt, write.
- Reflect on the different areas of your life (your personal relationships, relationship with Self, money, career): What do you really want?
- Learn new skills, sign up for new courses. Watch a webinar. Read uplifting books. Watch interesting documentaries on Gaya or Netflix. Stay away from violence and negativity.
- Declutter your house of things you don’t use, want or need. Let go of everything that doesn’t spark joy. Once this crisis is over, sell or donate.
- If possible, surround yourself with flowers to remind yourself its the spring season. A time of transformation, a time of rebirth. Feeling good keeps us healthy!
Take care of your dear ones and your community
The Planet needs healing. Once and for all, she makes us understand We Are All One. Unity, collaboration, giving, support, community, service, such human values have never been so essential as today.
Humans are social animals. Besides the basic need for shelter and food, we all need to be seen, heard, supported and loved. Let us be a light in the darkness. Protect the tribe.
Here are some suggestions. Take whatever feels right for you, depending on your circumstances:
- Stay home and stop spreading this pandemic.
- Don’t encourage panic and hysteria. Don’t pass further rumors and fake news.
- Don’t focus your conversations on virus-related topics. Stay away from drama. Say something fun. Laugh.
- Social distancing doesn’t have to be isolation. Do FaceTime, Skype or Zoom hangouts with family and friends.
- Be there for people who need to talk. Being willing and able to listen to another is a form of love.
- Make sure older people have what they need.
- Help the poor or those who are in a worse situation than you. Share food, essentials, baby necessities. Support those who don’t have any savings or income. If you can, keep paying people (like a house cleaner).
- Help people who lost their jobs. Brainstorm ideas, possibilities, new business opportunities.
- Help busy parents with children, who are currently working from home.
- Ask neighbors if they need anything when you go to the grocery store.
- If you know people who lost a friend or a family member, be there for them.
- If you know medical staff, the wonderful doctors and nurses who are currently fighting with the pandemic in hospitals saving lives, send them a text so they know you are thinking of them.
- Pray for those already affected by the virus. Pray for humanity. Send good vibes.
- Many people are alone and afraid these days. Give them a call.
- Support small, local businesses. Buy some vouchers and gift cards, to be used later.
This is a time for humanity, creativity and connection. Let us be the light we want to see in the world.
Stay safe and keep spreading the Love!
Sara Fabian is a Women’s Empowerment & Career Coach and inspirational speaker, on a mission to help professional women to discover their unique strengths, gifts and talents, boost their confidence, find their calling and live a meaningful life of purpose. For weekly inspiration, subscribe to her free newsletter at www.sarafabiancoaching.com or follow her on Facebook.